Thursday, May 7, 2009

Great-Great-Grandma's Secret Fudge Recipe

When Allyson and I first started to date, my future mother-in-law made some fudge for me to take home. Not realizing that this fudge was the best, I reserved it for a time when I did not have so many Christmas goodies around. When I did eat the fudge, I was completely amazed.

But alas, doubts ensued and we broke up. Teeth were clenched, fists shaken and a blood oath was taken: "You shall never know the secret fudge recipe". Fortunately, hearts were softened and I was forgiven. I did at length (after the temple sealing was official) receive the recipe with a charge only to give it to our closest friends and family. Actually, I am not sure if I can share this recipe or not. Perhaps all you have to do to get the recipe is avoid breaking up with Allyson. Either way, normally I will share the recipes we make, but I still want to enjoy my future Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays...

The recipe starts on the cook top, a mixture of bakers chocolate, sugar and milk. One must be very careful during this step. Once the pot boils, the spoon shall not touch the sides again. When the fudge reaches the correct consistency in a cold water bath, it is poured out on a slab of cold marble to cool with pats of butter.

When the fudge is cooled slightly, vanilla is dribbled on top.

Once it is sufficiently cooled, the paddling begins. I had to make my own fudge paddles, as they can no longer be purchased in stores. I often think of Return of the Jedi when I think about it. After all, the Jedi's skill is only complete when he or she constructs his or her own light saber (or fudge paddles). Anyway, paddling for a while, and voila - Fudge that is hardening so fast that it is unlikely that you can get it into tinfoil before it is too late. We add a variety of mix-ins - the traditional pecan, and some of our own creation: toffee, marshmallow, candy cane, coconut, or whatever your heart desires.

The final delicious product:

2 comments:

  1. When I need a good laugh out loud, I am coming to read this:
    Teeth were clenched, fists shaken and a blood oath was taken: "You shall never know the secret fudge recipe"!

    ReplyDelete